Long Beach, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: I want to find out if theres a way to get a personal review from Homeland security and FBI from someone who is in Mexico

i've been told it as to be in a sheet since they aren't here to get the digital one, but i am having a problem since my mom's fingerprints are hard to read and they have sent them back many of times. We started this process over 2.5yrs ago and still haven't been able to start the process because of this. Or is there another way someone can start the process without the fingerprints?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To request your mom’s A-file from either USCIS (immigration service) or EOIR (immigration court), you can file a FOIA request, which does not require fingerprinting. In addition, if you know any dates that she was caught by U.S. Customs and Border Protection or Immigration and Customs Enforcement, you can also submit a FOIA request directly to those agencies.

The FBI requires paper and ink fingerprint cards; however, it looks like a Name Check can be requested when the fingerprints have been rejected twice for image quality by the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division. However, the Name Check is limited to state, federal, and regulatory agencies that already have legal authority to submit fingerprints for non-criminal justice purposes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.