Los Angeles, CA asked in Personal Injury for California

Q: I had a pre existing condition/injury years before an accident to same part of my body which was my ankle.

I was finally 90% better. Then I stepped and twisted my ankle in a pothole at a store that had tape on it. A month after accident I did mri and it showed no tears but I had excessive pain. And crps. Then a year later I redid mri and I had tears in both ankles 4 places. Now defense says they are not at fault bc right after the ankle sprain I had no tears. What do I do? It’s been 3 years and I’m still suffering from pain. Now the defense wants to have court dismiss case bc they said they aren’t at fault. I had just got my life back and now I lost everything. What do I do? I know I was delicate from my injury before but I don’t know what to do bc they are saying the mri right after showed no tears.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick William Steinfeld
Patrick William Steinfeld
  • Coronado, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: What does your attorney say? Documentation is "king" in law. You need to establish the tears were caused by this incident. Unfortunately you have an MRI that says no tears. Many things could have happened to your ankle(s) in the year before the tears were confirmed. You are asking an opposing lawyer to accept your lay opinion that the pothole caused your injuries. But you don't have the supporting documentation. Have an expert review your original MRI for tears. Good luck. Patrick Steinfeld.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.