New York, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: My landlord is threatening me because I reported the tenants upstairs for dealing drugs. What can I do?

The letter states that my landlord will violate my and my brother's lease because I have reported the tenants upstairs to the police because they deal drugs out of their apartment. Because I witnessed a favorite tenant of the landlord's buying drugs from one of the drug dealers upstairs, both of us are now not only being harassed by the drug dealers above us, but by the landlord's favorite tenant and their friends. The drug dealers have also hacked my phone with Spyware to monitor emails, texts and calls. Both of us keep getting sick from the chemicals the drug dealers use for cooking drugs inside their apartment and from them smoking the drugs. And these dealers are not the first addicts and dealers we've been forced to deal with since we moved here. I am on disability, and this living situation is greatly effecting it, yet disability said they can't help. The area where we live is small, so finding unbiased help against the landlord is difficult, and we can't afford to move.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You may want to contact the Tenant Harassment Prevention Task Force

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.