Springfield, MO asked in Child Custody for Missouri

Q: In Missouri we have 2 homes. One is currently not occupied. My two sons 16 and 17 can they live alone there legally?

I would be residing 20 min away with my mother who is elderly. They are very self sufficient young men but can they legally stay/live alone in our other home and it be legally ok?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You should not leave your teenage children alone for long periods of time as it will open you up to neglect claims. The better option is to merge households at your earliest convenience or find in-home care for your mother. You may need to contact the state to see what services you can find for your mother. Start by looking through the website for Missouri Dept. of Health and Senior Services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.