Houston, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: My husband & I are recently separated. My husband has been working out of town & staying with his brother. Today he came

To pick up my son, along with my son’s belongings & take him with him without my knowledge or consent. He stated that he would be enrolling him in school in the town that he is currently working. My son is already enrolled in the school district that he has attended since kindergarten. He is about to start the 10th grade. My son is 15 & wants to go with his dad although I do not think it is the best thing for him especially since my husband doesn’t even legally reside in the town he is staying in. My question is- can he legally do this? Can he legally take my son 7 hours away from home & enroll

Him in school without my consent. (We are recently separated & I am in the process of trying to find. Divorce attorney to file for divorce)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If there are no court orders he can do that. You biggest problem is your son wants to live with dad. A judge may let a 15 year old live with his dad.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.