Louisville, KY asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: Mailing a filing of summons and complaint for an eviction for my parents’ house (DPOA for both-they are in GA, I'm IN)

1. There are 2 defendants (unmarried). Am I able to put both names on the one complaint and summons? how many copies of each “packet” (including summons, complain, notice of quit, no lease because there isn’t one) do you need to send for each

2. Do I need to send the original green card record of certified mail delivery of the notice to quit? Or are copies fine for the court of this specific document

3. I will need to arrange my own service to serve the eviction notice besides the mailed copies that you will send, can I pay extra to have the court arrange that when filing via mail, or can you suggest area services that would be able to do that for me? the court will send me my own copy back, is that what I will then have served to the “tenants” via a service that does this? or how do I arrange sherriff?

4. I see that I need to include mailing envelopes. It appears I will need an addressed envelope (postage paid-certified?) for each defendant, 1 for return of packet to me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I would suggest that for your costs and time, it would be most cost effective for you to hire a local attorney to conduct the eviction. The onus is on you as the landlord to meet each procedural and administrative step; a misstep - even unintentional - could delay, or in worst case, cause the proceeding to be dismissed and you having to start all over.

And that's not even mentioning the administrative hassle with evictions, and figuring out how each court or judge does things. You would, for instance, need to coordinate with the court for you to appear for the hearing by video. Sound simple, but in practice, unless you know who to call, can be cumbersome to arrange.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.