Edison, NJ asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for Michigan

Q: Kidnapping victim & perp live in different states, where should the victim file the complaint?

If the victim & perpetrator live in different states but were both in the same state at the time, where should the victim lodge a complaint, in which state's court should I file and is it still considered a federal crime if the crime didn't cross state lines?

I was visiting Michigan & got kidnapped in Detroit in 2019 & was held in a high rise near Wayne State University. Also, I'm a person with a disability (I have a traumatic brain injury present since birth & hydrocephalus)

Edit: I reported the crime to the Wayne State Police Department the night it happened, I have heard nothing on the case since. But I recently remembered some new information so, I will call the detective and have the information updated. Do I need to inform the FBI of this crime, seeing as kidnapping is a federal crime?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You should contact Detroit police. Frankly, I'm not sure what they are going to do with a three year old complaint.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.