Asked in Real Estate Law and Contracts

Q: Did a "contract for deed" for someone in al. They gave a down payment, defaulted. And moved out. How to cancel contract.

After 3 months we sent notice of cancelation for not getting house ins. At the end of there 4th month they packed there bags and moved back to Nevada I'm assuming. No way of contacting them. Cfd was recorded in henry county, al. Now we can't sell our home cause of the cfd. How do we get the cfd canceled? We did send notice by certified mail. They opted out before the 60days to remedy. Served eviction notice to property by sheriff. What do we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: A certified copy of the Judgment for possession from whatever Court you filed the Eviction in, should be recorded with the Judge of Probate. That serves as notice to the world that the Contract has no effect now. If no Eviction suit, and no Quit Claim Deed from all contractual renters, then you will have to file a Declaratory Judgment to release the Contract of record and Quiet Title in you. But does the Contract contain a self executing forfeiture provision that is already of record? If so, sell to someone else.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.