El Paso, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: My girlfriends greencard expired years ago but she still lives in Texas with me. Is it legal for me to marry her?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: Assuming she had a 10-year permanent green card (and not a 2-year conditional green card) she remains a lawful permanent resident even if her green card is expired. Assuming she has no underlying issues, she can file to renew her expired green card by filing Form I-90 with USCIS. Even with an expired green card it should not be “illegal” for you to marry her but you can contact the county clerk’s office in your county to find out what the requirements are for a marriage licenses there.

Stephen Arnold Black , Ms Grace I Gardiner and Agnes Jury agree with this answer

Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It is legal to get married but you need to retain a immigration lawyer and try to get her legal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.