San Diego, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant and Personal Injury for California

Q: Can I sue the property management under landlord tenant law as well as personal injury law?

bug infestation and I notified the landlord. 2 WEEKS later She sent the properties exterminator that only sprays for cockroaches. I told her 2 weeks ago It was termites & carpet beetles that I knew of although I knew their might be other bugs because this place was unsanitary. Said she’d get back to me and I begged her to hurry & help that day or the next.the bugs were already destroying my stuff. For an entire month I repeatedly tried contacting her to no avail Within a month The termites left damage on all my furniture. Other bugs ate holes in my clothes and other fabrics (couch , the fabric part of the bed as the termites destroyed the wood part, etc). This is embarrassing & where the personal injury happens. It got so bad i ended up with scabies and a parasite in my intestines. We’re traumatized. I was told by 1 lawyer that I have to have an inspector look at the place. That’s fine but it’s been sprayed by me & is it not enough with all the drs paperwork & rotten furniture

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, you can sue for for personal injury related to negligent upkeep of the premises. Landlords have a duty to provide a habitable premises.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.