New York, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: I have a question tenant law

I’m a tenant who was a month to month , always paid rent , no issues at the house with police agency or anything else , I maintain the yard and home , I was given a non lease renewal and then a 30 day notice with no notice at all , and the owner has harassed me etc , destroying my personal property so I’ve been recording such things with the police department since June 28 , we got a pfa against the owner and she in retaliation of us calling code enforcement got a pfa on us , for no reason at all , it states some nonsense about using the garage , anyway she just officially served us with a eviction and slid it into the pfa date for court , I need some legal advice for my wife and I

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Your next step should be to seek representation. If you are unable to afford an attorney, you may call 311 for information on obtaining pro bono representation.

Di Ma agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.