Asked in Personal Injury for California

Q: How can I sue for emotional abuse and emotional distress caused by another person? Caused severe depression and anxiety.

Stayed in my partner's relative's house in Los Angeles County and suffered from unexpected emotional abuse during my stay. Severe depression and anxiety that lasted for almost a year after was caused as a result. Looking to file a case against the incident.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Since this took place in Los Angeles, a California attorney could advise best. But your question remains open for two weeks. It does not look like a matter that an injury law firm would consider handling on a contingency basis. Not to diminish your ordeal, but with these types of settings, it could take costly investigation to establish what took place. And the outcome is uncertain, unlike clear-cut physical injury cases that law firms more readily consider investing time in. But this is only an individual opinion. You could reach out to California attorneys to discuss in further detail - that would be a more definitive way to answer your question. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.