Silver Spring, MD asked in Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: How do I transfer my deceased grandparent's house into only my name?

My grandparent's left their house to my mother and aunt in their will. A copy of the Deed of Assignment with Reserved Life Estate is on file with the state as the most current deed. My grandparent's name is still on all paperwork coming from the city and state. My mother and aunt want to give me the house outright. What kind of deed needs to be filed for only my name to be associated with the property?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You do not state who the remainderman is or who has the life estate. The deed will have to be reviewed by a lawyer. The life tenants under the life estate would need to transfer or relinquish their life tenancies and new deed can be issued to the remainderman in fee simple. If that is you, then a lawyer can prepare the deed. If that is someone else, you will need the agreement of the remainderman, but again, that can be dome by deed from all involved to you. This will require a eal estate lawyer to draft and record the proper documents with the land records department.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.