Oceanside, CA asked in Medical Malpractice and Small Claims for California

Q: Expert report uncovered over-treatment in my ongoing dental malpractice claim. Can I file a new claim for those?

Alternatively, can I file a separate small claims for reimbursement (under 15K) while civil case is ongoing?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Small claims is capped at $10,000. You may be able to amend your original pleading to add the new claims. Filing a separate claim in small claims court may not work; the opposing party may make a motion to combine, i.e. "Join," the claims together to promote judicial economy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.