Fort Worth, TX asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: I went to court for an eviction but I want to know if I can appeal the decision?

I already went to court but I did not have a lawyer. I was under the assumption that the evictions laws were strict. But there are a few things I feel were over looked or I just don’t really know or understand the process

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, you can appeal by filing a bond, making a cash deposit, or filing a Statement of Inability to Afford Payment of Court Costs with the justice court within 5 days after the judgment of eviction is signed.

The eviction will then be heard de novo by the court court on an expedited basis. "De novo" basically means both sides will have to present their evidence all over again and what happened in the justice court does not matter in the county court.

During the appeal process, you will be required to pay the rent due under your lease agreement into the registry of the county court even if you file a Statement of Inability to Afford Payment of Court Costs if you remain in possession of the premises.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.