Tallahassee, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: How do we get my name added back to the heir property.

MY mom passed in January 2018 my sister and I are only joint heirs to property and we have a filed Order determining Homestead. On February 14, 2019 my sister went behind my back and filed a Quitclaim deed signing my mom as 1st party and she being 2nd party. I was told to file a Petition setting aside the deed. I told my sister that I found out what she did. She said she was told the only way to correct this was to file another Quitclaim deed and add my name on it. Is this correct or should I just file the petition to set aside the deed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Never take legal advice from a non-lawyer or another party with interest in the property. Take the deeds to a real estate lawyer to review and provide proper advice. Quit claim deeds cause more problems then they solve. Unless your sister had been appointed the personal representative of the estate she might have possibly committed fraud.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.