Rohnert Park, CA asked in Child Support for California

Q: I have a court order to receive child support. I didn't collect over the past three months as my life was in transition.

I was staying with friends while looking for a new home and during this time our son stayed with my ex. We have 50/50 custody, but this was done in the best interest of our son. I am ready to move into our new house and asked for a “catch up” payment. He is refusing as he claims I abandoned my child. I told him he cannot withhold the support just because he feels I don’t deserve it. He would need to file a motion to modify and go through the proper procedure. I also reminded him that I maintained contact and had child related expenses throughout the time he was not living with me. He is either unresponsive or argumentative. I’d rather not go through child support services. A simple letter reminding him of his court ordered obligation from an attorney should be enough. Is there a way to do this without being represented? I have limited resources at the moment and can’t hire an attorney outright.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James R. Dickinson
James R. Dickinson
  • San Bernardino, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This scenario is more tricky than you may imagine for reasons that can only be explained in detail during a consultation with an attorney. [I litigate cases. Anything posted here must not be construed as legal advice, nor as grounds for forming an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for formal legal advice and representation.]

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.