Flint, MI asked in Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: A group lake property owners formed an Assoc to pay for weeds This Assoc wants all owners pay even opt can they force us

A group lake property owners formed an Assoc to pay for weeds This Assoc wants all owners pay even opt out can they force us to pay using the township to collect the tax?

They said if they get 51% of lake property owners to join the other 49% would have no choice ad our Township would collect it as Special Assessment. Taxes collected would go to the Lake Association for weed control. This would not apply to City property lake property owners.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
Answered
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: What does your deed say about a property owners association? Unless it existed at the time you bought, or existed when a single person/entity owned the land before subdividing the land, I don't see how you can be FORCED into joining an association.

Without seeing all the paperwork however, and what SORT of association is formed (is this a part of the township? Maybe they CAN 'force' you ....) it is impossible to say anything for certain.

You need to contact a local real estate lawyer to review all the paperwork and get real advice on what you can and should do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.