Oakland, CA asked in Civil Rights for California

Q: Am I required to provide proof of exemption for any conditions, and is that the same as requiring proof of disability?

I've been allowed to sit in the library, but they have refused to provide any access to their service unless I can provide an exemption card and I'm trying to find a way to relay to them that enforcing proof of exemption is equivalent to enforcement of proof of disability and unequal treatment under California Civil Code 51 and any attempt to remove me from the building falls under 51.7.

So they have halfway complied by allowing me to sit in the building so that they do not have to give me access or accomodations to their services, but they are refusing to allow me to check out books/use or obtain a library card, and use their computer systems.

And have only complied this much so that I can not represent myself to the police if/when they would be called to remove me should they be wrong and a suit be filed against them, which places it under the jurisdiction of undue duress. So I need a civil code to cite or something to get to use their services.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Some places of public accommodations want evidence that your condition is genuine. This can be in the form of a letter from your doctor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.