Claxton, GA asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for Georgia

Q: What authority do I have to petition for an arrest warrant for my Grandsons stepfather who is physically abusing him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: There are three relatively easy pathways

1. Call the local police and make a report. Officers are mandatory reporters with violence against children and will have to take notice

2. Call your local DFCS branch and do the same. They WILL take action

3. you can always apply for a warrant at your local magistrate court. It is a GA oddity we citizens can do that, but it works and is a great way to force the State to address issues just like this.

You can also go to the child's school or pediatrician, as those employees are mandatory reporters as well

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.