Los Angeles, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for California

Q: My Aunt lives in house in which the title and deed is under her deceased mother’s name. All her siblings are deceased.

Out of 10 siblings she is the only surviving, its been over 50 years since my grandmother passed. My aunt would like to change the name of the title and deed to her name. Will it be an easy process or a can of worms.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in California

A: If when your grandmother passed your grandmother was survived ONLY by your aunt then this will be relatively easy. You will need to gather a lot of death certificates to prove the order of death. If your grandmother was survived by others such as a husband or additional children, then it will probably be a can of worms.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.