Naples, FL asked in Contracts for Florida

Q: Hi had a contract w/ my Ex over child support. Our daughter was 15 at the time. I pre pay her $19K over 18 mo's in

4 installments. She relinquishes all CS fin obligations thru our daughters HS grad 6/2023. PIF 11/5/19. In 11/2020, she contacts the Fl DOR, they open a case against me, I testify in the 2nd DCA and win. Can I sue in Civil Ct and be eligible to be awarded the $6K it cost to defend myself? Thank you. Paul P

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can try, but unless the written contract contains a clause addressing liability for attorney fees and costs (prevailing party attorney fee clause), you probably cannot get reimbursed.

However, there are not enough facts stated to say for certain.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.