Lockport, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: Hello my brother came on H1B and he became undocumented.

Hello my brother cam eon H!B and he became undocumented. He had Illinois Physical Therapy assistant license which he had to put on hold as he could not renew in 2018 before the SB3109 which states that no applicant shall be denied a license solely based on his or her immigration status or citizenship status. Previously a question was asked on renewal form regarding legal resident of Illinois. He put his license on hold.

Following question, is he a resident of Illinois he has been living here for over 10 years. I really need to know this answer.

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Your brother was admitted and inspected in H1b visa status, so he is documented. However, he has fallen out of status by overstaying his visa. This means that he has accrued unlawful presence. Likely enough for a ten year bar from lawful admission should he depart the U.S.

He was never a citizen nor lawful permanent resident. He has very limited options, but these options should be discussed with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications.

Stephen Arnold Black agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.