Asked in Family Law for Louisiana

Q: How would my husband and I take over a conservatorship of his mother with early dementia who is being neglected?

Her daughter has become addicted to drugs and is not caring for her. She did not inform him of the conservatorship when she did it. Now we have to make medical decisions and can not.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: In Louisiana, a conservatorship is called an interdiction. When an interdiction is granted, the court appoints a curator (or curatrix if female) and an undercurator. Usually, the undercurator would file something informing the court that the curator is no longer capable of serving; however, any interested person can file and petition the court to replace her. Your husband should speak with an attorney about filing the appropriate pleadings to replace the daughter as curator.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.