Round Rock, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: I filed an I130 for parents who live in a foreign country, I have siblings who are minors. Can they immigrate together?

I'm a US citizen, and I filed the form I130 to bring my parents, my issue is that I have younger siblings (10 years old) and I don't know if she can immigrate with them at the same time as she can't stay by herself, I do have other siblings younger than 21 but they are in college which means they are far from home. Any thoughts, or suggestions or the steps that should be taken in this situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: The minor children, your siblings, must be petitioned individually, as fourth preference beneficiaries. The children are not derivative. The children may be petitioned by their parents in the second preference category. However, that can take quite a while.

This can distract your parents from leaving their children to live in the United States. I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications.

An experienced immigration attorney may be able to suggest alternatives that can potentially resolve this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.