Buffalo, NY asked in Family Law for New York

Q: Family Court listed my address to my abuser in a generalized letter to us both. I cannot afford a lawyer. What do I do?

My ex filed a petition to reduce his support that he doesn't pay anyway. I am a domestic violence Survivor and have a protection order from him. I went through a domestic violence organization to be relocated. Family Court listed my address on a letter sent to us both. I am extremely low income and cannot afford a $3,500 retainer for the lawyer that I have found. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Check with the local bar association for programs that will provide attorneys at low or no cost to you. Also check with the domestic violence program to see if they can help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.