Aurora, CO asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Colorado

Q: Can I go back to prison over child support.

So currently, I’m going to be custody battle for my son. And my ex is trying to have me sent to jail or back to prison over child support. I was paying when I was working I lost my job due to a car accident and I’ve been applying nonstop and have the proof. I’ve been looking and I’m not being negligent and not wanting to pay but she’s being unreasonable because she wanted more money originally because when I got out of prison, I was able to accomplish and get a six-figure salary. Ok

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You can be sanctioned for failure to obey a court order. If you have a substantial and continuing change of income, you can file for a support order modification. If a conviction has an impact on your ability to earn income, you can mention that. However courts anticipate that if you are looking for a minimum wage job that it should not take very much time to find one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.