Lincoln, NE asked in Immigration Law for Nebraska

Q: I have filed I-130 form for my wife and it's approved and I have one year old child. what I have to do to bring my child

with my wife?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: You did not specify if you are a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (LPR). If you are a LPR then your child can be a derivative on the I-130 and you can inform NVC about your daughter’s birth to add her to the case so that she can also be issued an immigrant visa with your wife.

If, however, you are a United States citizen you should determine whether your child is eligible for a consular report of birth abroad, which you can read about here:

You should also check the specific CRBA requirements at the U.S. Consulate/Embassy where you will be applying.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.