Los Angeles, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Filed I-130 petition for my brother 5 years ago, He just changed his last name to a new one, what should I do?

He lives in Iran, Can the petition get amended? will his priority in the line be affected? Is there any harm or risk from what he did?

Appreciate your response

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: He will need to submit proof of his legal name change for his new name to be recognized by U.S. immigration officials and for the immigrant visa to be issued in that name. If the I-130 is still pending with USCIS you would need to submit proof of his legal name change to the service center processing the petition. If the case is already at NVC you will need to submit proof of the name change to NVC using their public inquiry form: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/ask-nvc.html.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.