Orlando, FL asked in Civil Rights for Florida

Q: My friend still has legal property at his ex's place. How can he get it? His name is still on the lease.

My friend and his ex broke up. He still has legal property and proof of it being his in the apartment. Calling non emergency and they said he couldn't collect his items even tho his name is still on the lease and he has proof of receipts that it is his. How can he get his stuff? The ex is withholding his property. He tried to show the officer last night but the officer didn't want to see it. The officer didn't help us but after we left he stayed and talked to the ex. We tried to contact property management they said to call non emergency. If he has proof and that his name is still on the lease. Shouldn't he be legally allowed to get his property?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, he may have a right to the property, but it is not up to the police to enforce that right without a writ of assistance from the courts. Same with the landlord (or "property management").

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.