Asked in Tax Law for Texas

Q: Two companies I worked for, did not pay my taxes correctly and now I owe money to the IRS. What can I do?

one of the companies I worked for, for a year and they only paid 51 dollars in taxes, yet my taxes was taken out of every check. Same with the other company except they only paid 320 dollars in taxes for the months I was working with them (temp agency) now the IRS is claiming I didn’t file my taxes correctly for 2020 and saying I owe them. The first company I spoke to my old boss and she told me that the owners did this to everyone, I haven’t been able to contact the temp agency at this time. I know I am going to have to pay, I just wanted to see if I had other options. Because I don’t claim deductions on my tax returns I go off my W-2’s as I fully believed I was paying into my taxes.

Could this be considered Tax Fraud? I have no way of telling the IRS that I did pay my taxes

Edit: I have confirmed that the owner of the business did this to all his employees, presumably because the restaurant was failing

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: The easiest way to resolve this would be to provide the IRS copies of your paystubs which show what was actually taken out of your check.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.