Indianapolis, IN asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: I decided to check mycase and found a writ but have never been notified of a court date or served any paperwork

I was arrested and released on bond never had an arrainment- i showed up on the day they gave me upon release and was told by the clerk that they had declined to file charges, then it appears a year after the issue they refiled the charges with different charges and I was never notified or served, never given any information about any further court dates and decided to check just to see and saw they just issued a writ of bodily attachment because they made an error as of 10/28/2022 which it appears was a year after they refiled the charges. So this is 2 yrs since the incident occurred. I have literally not received anything at all once I was released what do I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You should consult with a local criminal defense attorney to see what your options are, there could be a basis to dismiss.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.