Shelton, WA asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Washington

Q: Can anyone answer my car insurance settlement question below please???

I am on SSDI & have medical insurance through the government. In July I was diagnosed w/ PTSD from an accident where a drink driver's car stopped less than 7 feet from our bedroom window (the room we were occupying that mornimg) going 60mph. Our vehicle was the only thing that stopped him from plowing into us. I'm currently & have been attending therapy & taking meds for this. The insurance co has offered me a settlement amount but it is quite low considering I have had to become my own self advocate and left researching everything I can on Insurance claims, adjusters, etc while dealing with the severe symptoms of PTSD related directly to the accident. I have government insurance and on SSDI. I am so confused about conditional payments, who pays what, etc. My question is this... Can I send a counter offer letter that totals all of my medical bills AS IF I DON'T HAVE medical insurance? It has become complicated due to possible restitution payments, made by the driver & other stuff. Thx.

1 Lawyer Answer
Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Tukwila, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Yes, there's something called the collateral source rule that entitles you to the amount of the bills without regard to insurance. Link to pattern jury instruction below:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.