Jacksonville, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Do i have to file a petition to restore former name?

My whole life my first name had an E at the end MARIE. My dipolma, kids birth certificate, marriage, life insurance, income tax, divorce (even bankruptcy has that first name). Real ID came out & i had to request my birth certificate which (surprisingly) shows my first name as MARIA. Of course dmv changed it, so i had to update my ss#, and current credit cards to reflect that name. I never reverted back to my maiden name after my divorce ( although its in the paperwork along with MARIE). 8 years later, would it be possible to file to have MARIE + (maiden name) restored? Or do i have to file a petition since my birth certificate reflects MARIA? (name used is an example only)

Thanks in advance

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Legally your birth certificate is your legal name. If you have never legally changed your name in the past then your birth certificate is still your legal name. That is your starting point. You do nat say why you want to change your name. If it is for legal purposes then you would file a petition for name change. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.