Asked in Consumer Law, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for California

Q: My apartment refuses to issue me a receipt of a one-time settlement fee. Is this a violation to this code?

I moved from one unit to another in the same apartment and paid a one-time settlement fee for the transfer. They are telling me to inquire regarding the receipt to the bank that I remitted this payment from and just doesn’t make sense why a bank in which processed a payment would issue a receipt on behalf of payee. I am trying to expense the fee and need proof of itemized breakdown of my payment which they are rejecting.

1 Lawyer Answer
Scott Richard Kaufman
Scott Richard Kaufman
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Los Altos, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: A copy of your check should be good enough to expense it.

In my opinion:

The management most likely is not wanting to give you a receipt

because they do not want a written trail, ie, they are likely either

avoiding paying taxes on it, OR not telling the real LL they are

skimming that money and well, essentially, stealing it.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.