Louisville, KY asked in Traffic Tickets for Tennessee

Q: I was pulled over for doing 75 in a 45 and speeding violation 55-8-152. No fine on ticket but also no court appearance.

It was in a construction zone with no workers present. I don't travel that road often, and while I wasn't aware that I was going over 55-60 (I was in a pack of cars and I was the one he got), I cruised through a construction zone at 75.

The THP officer explained that the offense is much, much worse if there are workers present. But no workers were present thankfully. He handed me the ticket and said "you must pay the fine by mail by the court date or appear in court to contest" or something to that effect.

After I got home and looked at the ticket the total fine section on the ticket is blank.

Again: The "pay by mail" option is checked and the "mandatory appear in court" box is unchecked. 55-8-152 was the only code cited. It was in a construction zone, with no workers present. 75 in 45. Minor ticket 6 years ago.

I called the sessions clerk and they gave me a payment service number, but the payment service doesn't know how much my fine is! I don't know how to proceed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The Court Clerk should be able to determine the Fine, so call again. However you will probably be better off going to Court. It might get reduced or Diverted. The worse that can happen is a conviction, which is what payment by mail is.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.