Duarte, CA asked in Business Law, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: I had to close my SCorp at the end of October, 10 months shy of the end of the lease. Can I get sued by the landlord?

My business was destroyed by COVID. I got every grant and loan possible and spent every dime in the corporation but couldn't make it to the end of the 5 year lease. The landlord doesn't care, wants 12K for rent, taxes, etc. I'm not able to pay anything because I am unemployed (2 1/2 years now), on government assistance for food and 64 years old. Not so easy to get another job. I was going to dissolve the corporation but now am wondering if I should. Will it protect me from being sued? All I have is a car that isn't paid for and a house that I still owe a ton of money on. No savings. Nothing left from the business, all bank accounts were closed in October as well. I'm in CA 91016

1 Lawyer Answer
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes. You can be used. Highly recommend you consult with a bankruptcy attorney that may be able to wipe out your liability.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.