Vista, CA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for California

Q: In a custody battle, My findings and orders after hearings paper was not signed by a judge. Is this order enforceable?

The judge gave custody to the other parent. But when I got the paperwork back, I had a minute order form, but not any signatures from the judge on anything. Is this ruling effective or do I still have custody of my daughter?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eliza Jasinska
Eliza Jasinska
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Please consult with the family law attorney. Family Code section 3022 requires that upon either party's request in a contested child custody proceeding, the court shall issue a statement of decision explaining the factual and legal basis for its determination. If your minute order expressly indicates that a written order will be filed, only the subsequent written order will be effective. Findings and Order after hearing FL-340 is a mandatory form and is meant to be supplemented by attachments. Please discuss this with an attorney that is knowledgeable in the area of custody and orders.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.