Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Sister in law claims we have a dcfs case but we havent seen a case worker or judge. Can we go get out children from her

Sister in law refuses to give us our children back claims dcfs gave her custody but we havent had a court hearing or a case worker

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you have not seen any paperwork that provides your sister in law with temporary custody or guardianship, her refusal to produce your children could be considered kidnapping. I would advise you to contact the juvenile court and see if there is a case involving your minor children. I would also contact the Department of Family & Children's Services to see if they are working an active investigation as well. Because if children have been taken from your custody and temporarily placed with a relative, there should be an open case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.