Asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: I had a blown tire. My vehicle was off the road and shut off for 20 minutes or more while I was trying to contact someo

I saw an officer turn around across the street from me. As he was pulling across I stepped our of my car to let him know I had a blown tire and didn't have a breaker bar and trying to call. told me I could get back in my car as it was raining out. Well after running my plates I guess they had been suspended for no insurance(guess randomly it showed I was having trouble keeping insurance) which my car had a blown motor and was sitting at the mechanic for 2 months before it was fixed. It was not being driven I didn't carry insurance on it. Anyway so after receiving a letter from the secretary of state saying I need to have insurance comply to prove insurance I did. And they did comply. I didn't hear anything else until this day of ticket. So my question is how can I receive a ticket for operating a vehicle when not pulled over or driving? I was relieved to see an officer pull up thinking I'd get some help to get home to get kids off the bus not a $1000 ticket right before Christmas

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore J. Harvatin
Theodore J. Harvatin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Springfield, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: In Illinois, you can be either actually operating a motor vehicle or “in actual physical control“. In your case, that essentially means, how else did you and your car get there if you did not drive them there.

And what happened on your no insurance ticket is you probably Failed to have SR 22 insurance and or didn’t pay the $100 reinstatement fee. I would suggest you contact an informal hearing officer at the Secretary of State and find out exactly what you need to do to become valid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.