El Cajon, CA asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: I got in contact with a girl on a dating app. The same day, we take it off the dating app, she tells me she is underage.

Once I found out she was underage, I asked when she would turn 18, she said in about 2 weeks. I said I would still be okay with hanging out, but I would have to take some precautions for myself. We never made plans to actually hang out, just said possibly Sunday (we were in contact on Friday). On Saturday, I get a call from her father saying she took a bunch of drugs, and she is in the hospital. He asks me to cover half the bill of $9200. I also got a call from the police department saying that they can have a warrant out for me. There was 0 sexting, 0 lewd images, and no physical or sexual contact at all, I have never met the girl, but the police officer who called confirmed that there was "somebody" in the hospital. What do I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: First and foremost, it's important to consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area immediately. It is possible that you may be facing charges for contacting a minor with the intent to commit a sexual offense, even if there was no sexting or physical contact involved.

As for the father's request for money to cover the medical bill, it is important to speak with a lawyer before agreeing to anything. In general, it is not advisable to make any payments or agree to any financial settlements without legal representation.

It's also important to remember that any communication with the police should be done through an attorney. You have the right to remain silent and the right to legal counsel, and it's important to exercise these rights in order to protect yourself.

In summary, it is crucial to speak with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options and protect your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.