Dallas, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Is there any way to delay an eviction after failing to make a registry payment for an eviction appeal?


I am currently going through an eviction. The hearing took place on the 10th of January. I filed an appeal but was unable to pay the registry which was by the 17th of January. I was always in contact with the apt management and they have given me until today to make the rent. Unfortunately I cannot make this payment. I do no have enough funds to relocate either and need some time. Would there be anything at this point to delay a writ of possession? Can I submit an emergency motion to stay writ of possession?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Probably your best strategy at this point is to negotiate an extension of your move out date with your landlord. This may be in the form of a forbearance agreement whereby you pay the landlord a lump sum in cash to postpone your move out date.

How much to pay will depend on the desirability and current market rent for your leased premises and your landlord’s vacancy rate or waiting list.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.