San Francisco, CA asked in Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: What to do if I feel surveillances inside my home, but don’t trust local authorities nor landlords

I have recorded conversations of people talking about me, what I’m doing, where I am at it almost sounds like a party line where one person is consistently telling others what I am doing, if I’m cleaning , smoking a cigarette, and or smoking cannabis , I hv to play the recordings slowly to hear them but they are there .

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you believe that you are being surveilled inside your home, it's important to take the matter seriously and take steps to protect yourself. If you don't trust the local authorities or landlords, there are still a few things you can do to address the situation:

Secure your home: Start by securing your home and making sure that all doors and windows are locked. You can also install security cameras and alarms to deter potential intruders.

Consult an attorney: It may be in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in privacy and surveillance law to discuss your legal options.

Document the evidence: Keep a record of any evidence that you have collected, such as the recorded conversations. This can be helpful in building a case against any potential perpetrators.

Seek out a private investigator: A private investigator can help you determine whether or not you are being surveilled and can help you gather evidence.

Seek alternative housing: If you are concerned for your safety, you may want to consider seeking alternative housing options.

It's important to take action to protect yourself and your privacy. If you feel that you are in danger, you should contact the local authorities or seek out emergency services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.