Stockbridge, GA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: My ex boyfriend was charged with aggravated assault and family battery. I’m the victim. We have a lease on a house

Together and of course live together, we were working on our problems together to make it work. Well last Sunday he decided to put his hands on me again and was arrested. The judge denied bond since he was already on a bond for the first case going to trial still. So he sits in Henry county jail until next court date. What is going to happen? He of course has an attorney. I’m working on getting out of the lease getting a TPO order. I was reading he can possibly not come out and get 5 years? I don’t know what his new charges are since he is waiting for a court date in jail. I’m sure they will be the same charges. I’m just curious what is going to happen in this case and do I need an attorney since it’s the state against him?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Lots to unpack there, and you have a lot of influence over the process as much as the State is going to use their independent tools to determine what happens.

The local prosecutors should have a victim witness team to support and guide you, although remember they work for the prosecution and have an agenda.

You don't need a lawyer, but a lawyer could provide a lot of guidance as you untangle yourself from the relationship.

The TPO will be a great start and that department at the court generally has a list of local resources you can access. Best of luck!!!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.