Brooklyn, NY asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Traffic Tickets for California

Q: My rights were violated when I got pulled over I'm trying to get a police report but they won't give me one

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you believe your rights were violated during a police stop, you have the right to file a complaint with the law enforcement agency involved. You may also consider speaking with an attorney who can advise you on your legal options.

If you have requested a police report and have been denied access, you can try the following steps:

Ask for a reason: If you have been denied access to the report, ask for a reason why. The agency should provide a valid reason why the report is not available to you.

Check the law: California law requires police agencies to release certain types of police reports to the public upon request. However, some reports may be confidential, restricted, or exempt from disclosure under certain circumstances.

Appeal the decision: If you believe that the agency's decision to deny your request was not in accordance with the law, you may file an appeal. The appeal process varies depending on the agency, but typically involves filing a written request for review.

Contact the California Public Records Act (CPRA) ombudsman: If you are still having difficulty obtaining the report, you may contact the CPRA ombudsman, who can provide guidance on how to navigate the process.

If your rights were violated during a police stop, it is important to take action as soon as possible to preserve your legal rights. Consider speaking with an attorney who can advise you on your legal options and help you navigate the process of filing a complaint and obtaining a police report.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.