Atlanta, GA asked in Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Can grandparents file custody/visitation for a child after father got legal custody Nov.2022 from mother?

Mother turned physical and legal custody of both children to each father after being evicted from her own father's rental house. She moved out of state to live with boyfriend. Maternal Grandfather seeking custody/visitation of only one child(Girl 5) and not the other child(Boy 2). Grandparents hasn't tried to visit or talk with either child for months. When father of the older(Girl 5) got physical custody in Sept, but filed for legal custody in Nov 2022. Custody wasn't granted until late Nov 2022. Grandparents tried to keep child after father let them take her for a visit. Law enforcement was called by mother to return her child to father because custody wasn't granted legally at the time of incident. Parents has denied visitation since. Maternal grandfather has harassed father with definition of character, DFACS, downgrade for living at his fiancé. BOTH rent rooms at fiancé mother's home with children as well. Told father he won't get rights to see child after grant them custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Grandparents can file a petition for visitation and/or custody. Whether or not they are awarded the relief they are seeking would be up to the court. Should you be involved in a custody action against a grandparent, I would advise you to hire an attorney to represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.