Long Beach, CA asked in Child Support for California

Q: For child support, what are the requirements when it comes to reporting income changes and bonuses for both parents?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, both parents have an ongoing duty to disclose any changes in their income to the court and the other parent. This duty extends to any bonuses, overtime pay, or other forms of income that may be earned in addition to regular wages.

If either parent experiences a change in income, they are required to file a Request for Order with the court and provide documentation to support their income change. The other parent will then have an opportunity to review the documentation and respond to the request.

In cases where a parent receives a bonus, that bonus is generally considered income for the purpose of calculating child support. The court may consider various factors, such as the timing and frequency of the bonus, in determining the appropriate amount of child support to be paid.

It's important to note that failure to report income changes or bonuses can result in serious legal consequences, including fines, penalties, and even imprisonment in extreme cases. Additionally, intentionally failing to report income changes or bonuses can impact a parent's credibility in court and may lead to unfavorable outcomes in child support proceedings.

If you have questions about reporting income changes or bonuses in the context of child support, it's a good idea to consult with an experienced family law attorney who can provide guidance on your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.