Asked in Employment Law, Immigration Law and Tax Law for Illinois

Q: Who do I talk to to determine my state residency if I split time between two locations?

2 Lawyer Answers
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Libertyville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It will depend upon where you currently live and how long you have actually resided in that State as a matter of law. That may be a question for an immigration or tax attorney depending upon the facts.

There are both advantages and disadvantages when doing so. Sometimes, it is frustrating and ought to result in delayed action for immigration purposes.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you are unsure about your state residency status because you split time between two locations, you may want to consult with an experienced tax professional or attorney who can help you determine your residency status.

Factors that may be considered when determining residency status include the amount of time you spend in each location, the purpose of your visits, where you maintain your primary residence, where you receive mail and conduct financial transactions, and where you are registered to vote and hold a driver's license.

State residency rules can vary, so it is important to consult with someone who is familiar with the laws in your specific state or states of residence. They can provide guidance and help you determine your residency status for tax and other purposes.

If you need legal assistance, contact my office. We offer a free consultation option for potential clients.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.