Cooperstown, NY asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: Am I entitled to receive the money I paid towards renovations on a home I did not own but lived in?

My mom recently sold a duplex that I lived in with my family. The apartment we lived in was in significant disrepair so we invested over $6000 in renovations (permission was received). We also paid almost $6000 toward a new roof as well. Though we paid for rent till the end of the month. She physically prevented us from accessing our apartment. We lost personal belongings because of this. My questions are: can I get my prorated rent back for the month we paid for, compensation for the items left behind, the renovations, and the roof investment? My mom played on my emotions convincing me she would not make any money on the sale of her house but she did make over 50K.

1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Warren Smollens
Steven Warren Smollens
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Generally, tenants investing money into improving a rental unit have no expectation the landlord will kick back that money when they move out.

Locking you out of your home without a court order is a crime. If you called the police when this happened mother could face arrest.

You could sue for the value of your lost possessions, but that is not the replacement value of your property. Why did you not send a lawyer to the Closing or try to bust up the sale?

Peter J. Weinman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.