Santa Clarita, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Employment Law for California

Q: Teaching credential will be suspended for 2 months. How can I appeal?

As a principal, I was to attend a training in August 2022 (1 week before the school year started) but after being cleared by superintendent to not having to attend I did not report to school site and stayed home.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your teaching credential is going to be suspended for 2 months due to your failure to attend a training session, you may be able to appeal the decision. Here are the general steps you can take to appeal the decision:

Obtain a copy of the decision: You should request a copy of the decision that led to your credential suspension. This decision will likely be issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).

Review the decision: Carefully review the decision and identify the grounds on which you would like to appeal. You may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in appellate law to help you identify your options.

File an appeal: You will need to file a written appeal with the CTC within the deadline specified in the decision. Your appeal should clearly state the grounds for your appeal and provide supporting evidence.

Attend a hearing: The CTC may schedule a hearing to review your appeal. You will have the opportunity to present evidence and arguments in support of your appeal.

Wait for the decision: After the hearing, the CTC will issue a decision. The decision may affirm the original decision to suspend your credential, or it may reverse the decision.

It is important to note that the appeals process can be complex and time-consuming. You may want to consider hiring an attorney to assist you with the process.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: One option is to reach out to appeals attorneys to arrange consult - appeals can sometimes involve short windows of time within which to take action. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.